Monday, July 9, 2007

The little holes in my nose...

At breakfast the other morning, I turned to get Wilson some milk and when I turned back around...I had THIS staring at me. I gasped and said in a shout whipser, "No no, Maisy! That's dangerous! Take it out. But wait--let me take a picture first!"
What is SO fascinating about those TWO little holes in our nose? Children all over the world either have stuck something up their nose, are about to stick something up their nose, or are seriously thinking about sticking something up their nose.

This incident reminded me of a very intense situation we had in our household when I was growing up. One afternoon (it was probably a Sunday afternoon because that is when we always got into trouble), my older brother Jaron and my younger brother Cameron where messing around as usual. Their *messing around* always consisted of Jaron kindly torturing Cameron, yet making him feel like he was having fun. My sister and I were not really paying attention until we heard hysterical cries from Cameron. Apparently Jaron had stuck a popcorn kernel up Cameron's nose. He had convinced Cameron that it would be cool to stick it up there and then blow it out. Well, the problem was that Cameron became too hysterical to actually blow the kernel out. All I remember is Jaron yelling, "Cameron! JUST BLOW IT OUT!" Then Cameron would whimper, try to blow it out and then suck the kernel farther up his nose--then more hysterics. It was a vicious cycle. Luckily, we did not have to go to the hospital. Hey! Whatever happened to that kernel?

It is not always food that is curiously stuck up the nose. My brother, Jaron, tells a story about his son, beads, and THE FASCINATION. His daughter Cozy and his son Luke were cleaning up a bracelet that had broken and scattered all over the floor. Jaron checked on his children to make sure they were picking up the pieces and he found Luke hunched in the corner. "Luke! You are suppose to be helping your sister clean up." He frightenly looked at his father and said, "Well...but...it's just that...I can't get this bead out of my nose"--whimper whimper. Jaron grabbed Luke's head. Sure enough, it was a good ways up the nose; just far enough up the nasal passage that he nor anyone non-medical could attempt to reach it. They were not so fortunate and had to visit the ER that evening.

I think just about everyone has a heightened object-up-the-nose story. Any good ones out there?

7 comments:

becki said...

ok sadly, i don't. but i enjoyed reading about yours and am grateful my girls have not found their nostrils yet!!

Maddy said...

knock on wood, but we haven't had any nose incidents yet. I'm sure it will happen. . .

J D C and N said...

So far Covey hasn't quite figured out he can stick things up his nose except for his fingers. :) I on the other hand as a little girl managed to stick a sequin up my nose really good and had to go to the doctor to get it out. Good times.

-Laura- said...

Okay, that picture is too funny! ...but I'm glad Maisy didn't get it stuck up there! Is that cereal? Neither of my kids have stuck anything up their noses (other than for picking purposes), but my mother-in-law likes to tell a story about when Kyle stuck a button up his nose. Apparently 3-year-old Kyle felt pretty bad about doing it and took all the poking and prodding from the doctor all in good stride.

Unknown said...

Yes, Laura, that is cereal. So it was nice and soft enough to be easily pulled out. That's a funny story about Kyle. I can just picture him laying there with is nose in all directions from the poking and prodding.

Anonymous said...

Thankfully Luke has, as he states, "Learned his lesson." Unfortunately, there are other "Fascinating" things (i.e. EARS) yet to be discovered.
-Amber

Justin said...

Well we don't have kids yet, but as I child I had a certain affinity for purple crayons. Unlike Homer Simpson, though, removal of this crayon-to-the-brain didn't make me any smarter.